Meeting My Ex-Student

Robin was my ex-student at ICOM from about 10 years ago. He continued his studies after that at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, USA and is now a music producer, engineer and drummer based in New York city.

I was fortunate enough to learn of his holiday trip back to Malaysia this month and I "took advantage" of him (haha)... I asked if he could do a seminar for my Digital Audio class and Robin, just like the cooperative and exemplary student during his ICOM days, obliged (despite his very tight schedule in KL) by coming in to share his knowledge and experience in recording a live jazz trio.

Just before he left for NYC, Robin managed to squeeze in a little time to meet up with me and Eunice over dinner last Saturday. We met in Thai Express at The Curve. It was an interesting catching up session and exchange of stories, including how Eunice and I met. Although that story is also available on the About Us page of zenetlife.com, Robin had a 1st person account from us on how it happened, with quite a few more details, of course (than the summarized version on our website)... haha.

Another ex-ICOM student, Cecilia, later joined us at Thai Express. I have not seen her since her graduation ceremony about 5 years ago, and we caught up with each other too.

* From left to right: Cecilia, Robin, Eunice and Sze.

Towards the end, the air in Thai Express was getting hot and stuffy and it was time to go. But it had been quite an enjoyable evening for all 4 of us.

* Photo courtesy of Robin.

2 comments:

Dreamer said...

ahh!! this is the most recent picture of your guys!!

how come we didn't have this 'guest lecture thingy' during our time?:-(

btw, mr z, guess what!! i've just created a VST!! such a daunting process!!

zenetlife said...

We couldn't have this "guest lecture thingy" during your time cos there were not many graduates then... haha. Cecilia also mentioned that she would be visiting you.

Oh cool. What VST plug-in did you create? If you'd like me to take a look, email it to me then.