My Euro 2008

I have always resisted blogging about football. Even though I am a big football (aka soccer in the US) fan, I also considered that most of our blog readers and friends probably don't give two hoots about this game anyway... haha.

But given the current Euro 2008 fever, it is hard to ignore it altogether. So, what do I do then? Well, jump in on the football bandwagon, of course. The biggest problem is, however, staying awake to watch the games live on TV. With matches starting at 12 midnight and 2.45 am, I will usually doze off even before the 1st game starts... haha. So, I will end up having to catch the replays on TV after work the following evening.

Like many football fans, I regularly follow the EPL (English Premier League) since I am an MU (Manchester United) fan. With England failing to qualify for Euro 2008, some EPL fans will turn to supporting the teams of their club's players while others, especially the girls, will simply go for looks. One of Eunice's girlfriends asked her, "You actually see how they play?" Err... guess the friend just watches the guys instead of the game then ;)

Despite Cristiano Ronaldo's record breaking, 42 goal heroics for MU (he is also the 2008 European Golden Shoe winner and PFA Player of the Year), I remain a neutral fan of the Euro 2008.

MU and Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo (photo: creative commons / ayahabd)


However, I do have a few favorites - my semifinal predictions (after 2 rounds of group matches) are:

Portugal
vs
Croatia


Netherlands
vs
Spain


And my predictions for the final are:
Portugal
vs
Netherlands


And the winner of Euro 2008 is...
NETHERLANDS!


Haha... I will probably be wrong, but let's just see how far away my predictions turn out to be :)

5 comments:

Dreamer said...

how much is your bet?:-)

zenetlife said...

If I had betted, I would have lost every bet, based on my predictions... haha. So far, all the group winners lost in the quarterfinals and none made it to the semifinals - now, how many people would have predicted such results?

Anyway, virtually no one in the 4th floor office watches football, so there's nobody to bet with. And Frank doesn't want to bet either :P

Dreamer said...

aikks....i should have betted with you.....which I would be quite rich now....haha....

I wonder if mr wira (is he still there) going to put the tv in the recital hall this year..

let me know if he does...

zenetlife said...

You still have a chance to bet - next match is the final - Germany vs Spain. Spain was the only team I predicted earlier to have won their quarterfinal match, so I'll be rooting for them :)

Btw, there's no football in the hall this time as the matches are played betwn 12am and 2.45am local time. Moreover, it's the semester break now, so there're no students and min staff in the college.

zenetlife said...

Viva Espana! They are truly deserving winners of the Euro 2008 :)