Using Aztech Wireless Router with a Separate Modem

Scenario:

The Aztech WL830RT4 wireless router could not connect to the internet via the ADSL modem (separate device). The modem works fine on its own when using wired internet access but could not dial out to connect to the internet when the router is plugged into the modem.

I tried changing several settings but none worked. I also tried to look for an answer online - although there were several discussions on the problematic Aztech wireless router, surprisingly, none of the forums had any solutions.

So at 8.30am Monday morning, I called the Aztech Service Hotline. The support guy suggested that I set my LAN IP to 10.0.0.2... and voila, it worked! Thanks and a good job to the Aztech Service Center! (The router's default 192.168.1.1 LAN IP was already in use by the modem and thus became the default gateway IP of the WAN.)

Conclusion: Set the Aztech wireless router's LAN IP to 10.0.0.2 (also check that its WAN IP is set to dynamic, which is the default setting).

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I got the same problem, but a bit more complicated. I've got a D-link ADSL2+Router (Model:DSL-520T) and a Aztech Wireless Router (Model: WL830RT4). I want to use wireless to surf net, so I tried to connect both of them. I tried all the following ways, none of them works! Wondering is there any one could help me on this.

Methods tried:
1. Changed the D-link to bridge mode, and connected it to the WAN port of the Aztech (also tried to one of the LAN ports). Disabled the DHCP of the D-link. Changed Aztech IP to 192.168.1.2 (and later to 10.0.0.2), PPPOE(and later to dynamic IP), DHCP enabled and used Windows broadband to connect. (If directly connect the D-link to PC, it works properly i.e. can online).

2. Disabled DHCP of the Aztech, and plug the D-link to one of the LAN ports, with D-link properly configured i.e. ADSL user name, password and etc. If using cable to connect the Aztech and PC, it works properly; but when I unpluged the cable, and use wireless to connect, it's failed (it seemed that the PC couldn't acquiring the IP from the DHCP server). When I manually set the IP to 192.168.1.3, gateway to 192.168.1.1, it still didn't work. I also tried the other way - disabled the DHCP in D-link, enabled it in Aztech, still failed.

Help! Help!!

zenetlife said...

Whoa... that's quite a few changes there. We only had to change the Aztech wireless router's IP. Try to reset the Aztech wireless router to the default settings and just change its LAN IP to 10.0.0.2.

If that does not work, you can compare with our wireless router settings shown below:

http://www.zenetlife.com/blogimages/aztechblog.jpg

Meanwhile, our modem LAN IP is set to 192.168.1.1 with the DHCP Server enabled.

If all else fails, you can call the Aztech Service Hotline at 603-7804 8450 (Mon-Fri 8.30am-1pm and 2pm-5.45pm).

Hope the above suggestions work. If you're able to solve the problem, just post the solution for the benefit of others who may have the same problem as you.

marcus said...

OMG thx to u!!!! This solution works!!!!! i love you....thousand appreciation for u..This solution rocks man...I crack my head for 2 days to find out.Then i find it on ur post.Thx

zenetlife said...

Glad it works for you :)

iQing said...

Appreciate much your tip on changing the wireless router IP. It worked for me!

zenetlife said...

We are pleased to hear it worked for you too, iQing.

Liyana said...

Hi, just want to say thanks. The post is probably 3-4 years old and it helped me immensely! Previously I tried resetting the router, looking thru online solutions, and trying a few complex suggestions, and in the end changing the LAN IP was so simple, I can't believe I have wifi now :D

Made my day!

zenetlife said...

You are most welcome Liyana. We like simple solutions too and we are happy that our 3+ year old solution still works.