Anniversary Celebration @ Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur

To read story with pictures, click here.

4th February 2007 was an eventful day for both of us. Firstly, it was our 1st anniversary. Secondly, it was the day that we officially launched our website. Then thirdly, Sze proposed to me on that day too…

And after all that has happened in the morning, we had to rush for a buffet lunch at the Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, which we had booked earlier. We arrived at the Lemon Garden coffee house at around 1.30pm. It was already packed with people by then. The waitress led us to our table and almost immediately, we started checking out the food. As we were looking around, we bumped into Sze’s cousin… what a coincidence! She was there with her family who were attending a company lunch. Later on, we walked over to her table and met her husband, son and mother too.

We filled our plates and started to enjoy the feast. The variety of food was fairly wide - I don’t usually go for buffet meals but this is a place that I would definitely recommend to anyone. There were separate sections for Chinese, Malay/Indian, Western and Italian cuisine. But the most eye-catching spread that caught my attention was the DESSERT section - they had this huge chocolate fondue fountain! I didn’t want to wait and even considered starting the meal with dessert… hehe. But then again I thought, “I don’t want to end up eating just dessert for lunch”.

So for our first serving, I took some raw salmon fish, sliced lamb and salad with lots of capsicums. I love both lamb and capsicums. This was definitely my favorite plate of the meal. Sze got himself an oriental plate. He likes Chinese food. So what were his thoughts at that time? “I’m hungry. Let’s eat. There’s enough room in my tummy for everything. I’ll start from the left side of the buffet…” Humph…

My second serving was a mixed plate of curry lamb, fish and vegetables, mussels, capsicums (I really love capsicums), salmon and white rice. Sze called it my “Shangri-La mixed rice”… haha.

For his next serving, Sze took a plateful of raw salmon and tuna, decorated with slices of lime. As salmon is an expensive item, it is definitely something you’ll want to eat as much as you can in a buffet. I had another small helping of the salmon, polenta and salad while he had a taste of the roast lamb with mint sauce, fish, polenta and asparagus, plus an additional serving of the Chinese food… (he wasn’t kidding when he said that his tummy had room for everything!)

Finally, it was time for dessert… yay! We took a couple of attractively decorated cakes - Sze thought that the 3 strawberries on one of the cakes looked like… err... “very interesting???” Hmm…

But the highlight of choosing our dessert was, of course, dipping sticks of honeydew, marshmallow and pastry into the chocolate fountain. Again, Sze had a name for it – just like the title from Johnny Depp’s movie, he called it, “Eunice and the Chocolate Factory”…

And while we were “manufacturing” the chocolate sticks, we also saw an interesting-looking prawn and scallop cocktail. It was probably meant to be an appetizer but we didn’t notice it earlier. When we came back from choosing our dessert, the waiter had actually cleared our table, thinking that we had left. Sze thought, “Oh yeah, no need to pay – just walk out now!”

Lastly, we also had a taste of hazelnut and chocolate ice cream. We washed down our meal down with coffee – I prefer black coffee while Sze’s coffee is always “double double” (i.e. double servings of both cream and sugar).

It was already 4pm then, we were totally stuffed, and it was time to go. So we paid the bill (no, we didn’t just walk out after the waiter cleared our table) and left with pleasant memories and plenty of photographs!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been trying best to control my weight for many years, that is why I swim everyday. But, now I really really really regret checking those pictures of food.........................I am feeling extremely hungry now, don't stop me, let me eat! lol lol lol lol!

Chen Chen

damyst said...

Ugh. I am eating lunch at the moment and I'm STILL hungry looking at all those pics.... :D

Oh and Julian says congratz too~! :)

gwendelyne said...

Hey, congrates to both of you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chen Chen. Thanks for your comment. Keep on swimming everyday and keep eating too. Life is short, so enjoy before you die. Don't just eat instant noodles and egg on Chinese New Year - give yourself a treat :-)

zenetlife said...

Hi Robin. Great to see your comment. Go ahead and have a 2nd lunch if you're still hungry... Glad we could help you improve your appetite :P

Thanks and send regards to Julian too. Hope he's doing fine.

zenetlife said...

Hi Gwen. Thanks for your well wishes. Remember to check out our website regularly despite your busy schedule.

Dreamer said...

hey sir.......eat more FAT FAT FAT to gain weight!!!!eunice was rite....where is all ur food go????!!!

i hv seen the chocolate fountain in somewhere else before...but never had a try on it...does it taste nice with fruits???hmmm...i just cant imagine how it taste.......

hey....how is the taste for the prawn cocktail??is it cooked??

and de strawberry thingy...well...haha..."looked intresting" .....was it supposed to be placed in that way...or u guys placed it like that.....

i m on diet as well......and ur blog definitely made me feel even more hungry......arrghh...they looked too tempting!!!!

happy cny to u!!!!and...make sure eat more more during this big festival...and i dun mind u reserve some ang pao for me...haha.....

zenetlife said...

Hi Lily. I've already eaten all the food that are in the pictures but I still haven't gained any weight... is this lucky or unlucky me?

The chocolate fountain tastes nice with the fruits. Just imagine eating rich fruity chocs...

But we're not too fond of the prawn cocktail. Yes, it was cooked but there wasn't much taste in it.

As for the strawberry, you think we placed them that way? Haha, no we didn't, it was the Shangri-La Hotel who arranged them that way... They must've let their imagination run wild ;)

Btw, if you go hungry looking at the pictures, just eat more of your fav Burger King :P

And Happy CNY to you too. Hope you got to experience some festive cheer in the UK as well.